[GRASS-dev] Issues of 6.5 build on WinXP

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Dec 29 01:53:29 EST 2009

Jan Tošovský wrote:

> > First, ensure that you have GNU make 3.81; I wouldn't trust older
> > versions to handle non-trivial use of "eval".
> >
> > FWIW, the locale directory from GRASS 6.5 builds fine for me on
> > Windows (with make 3.81).
>
> I can confirm that. The locale directory is really created on my PC, but I
> don't know if all of us mean the same path.
> I've found two locations:
> - C:\OSGeo4W\apps\grass\grass-6.5.svn\locale
> - C:\OSGeo4W\usr\src\grass6-devel\dist.i686-pc-mingw32\locale

Both of those directories should have identical contents.

The GRASS build system stores everything which is meant to be
installed in the dist.<arch> directory, where <arch> is the
architecture name (e.g. i686-pc-linux-gnu for a typical Linux system
or i686-pc-mingw32 for MinGW).

"make install" copies the dist.<arch> directory to the final
destination ($prefix/grass-$version), as well as installing the
scripts from bin.<arch> after modifying them to reflect the
installation directory.

The idea is that after building GRASS, you can run it from the source
directory without installing it.

> BTW, Glynn, can you add a new vector map? Here is a snippet from the
> original post:
>
> 1) I cannot add a new vector map layer. Only a dummy one is added without
> the standard option dialog. All corresponding messages from the Command
> output tab can be found at the bottom of this e-mail. Raster maps are Ok.

It works for me with 6.4.0-RC5; I'll try with 6.5 once it's compiled
(which should take around an hour).

> self._parser.Parse(data, 0)
> xml.parsers.expat
> .
> ExpatError
> :
> not well-formed (invalid token): line 559, column 58

Can you run:

	d.vect --interface-description > out.txt

and see if there's anything strange about that file (specifically,
line 559 or thereabouts)?