[GRASS-dev] Issues of 6.5 build on WinXP

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Dec 29 03:50:02 EST 2009

Glynn Clements wrote:

> > BTW, Glynn, can you add a new vector map? Here is a snippet from the
> > original post:
> >
> > 1) I cannot add a new vector map layer. Only a dummy one is added without
> > the standard option dialog. All corresponding messages from the Command
> > output tab can be found at the bottom of this e-mail. Raster maps are Ok.
>
> It works for me with 6.4.0-RC5; I'll try with 6.5 once it's compiled
> (which should take around an hour).

Tried that. It doesn't work for me, although I don't get the same
error. As soon as I have typed the map name (and before I have pressed
"OK"), the GUI hangs and has to be forcibly terminated.

Oh, and I get exactly the same behaviour with 7.0 on Linux. Raster
maps work fine on both Linux and Windows; it only happens for vectors.

This seems to be related to the auto-completion "enhancements" (the
fact that it happens as soon as the text field contains a valid map
name is a big clue). This needs to be completely reworked or, failing
that, removed.

Apart from anything else, it should not be running commands after each
key press; this is just far too slow, particularly on Windows
(although it's still noticable on Linux).