[GRASS-dev] GRASS GIS: backport of CI speed updates to G83?

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 17:52:01 PST 2024

On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 at 04:14, Markus Neteler via grass-dev <
grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> In fact the slowest CI run determines how much time I have to wait
> with each release step (i.e., editing VERSION file, wait 1:30hs, do
> some steps, wait 1:30hs, create tarball, wait 1:30hs, reset VERSION
> file, wait 1:30hs ... which is a pain).

Isn't the issue the release procedure itself? It has a bunch of steps which
need to be done manually.

I counted 3 pushes which is what triggers the CI.

1) release VERSION file push
2) tag push
3) development VERSION file push

The release needs step 2 to be completed. We were doing step 2 only after
CI for step 1 completed to make sure the CI runs on the branch at that time
before the tag is made in step 2. I guess the reason to wait after step 2
before doing step 3 is to make sure that the automated part of the release
procedure linked to step 2 actually went through. Is this correct?

Best,
Vaclav