[GRASS-dev] GRASS GIS: backport of CI speed updates to G83?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Feb 23 02:07:05 PST 2024

On Fri, Feb 23, 2024 at 2:52 AM Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 at 04:14, Markus Neteler via grass-dev <grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:
>> In fact the slowest CI run determines how much time I have to wait
>> with each release step (i.e., editing VERSION file, wait 1:30hs, do
>> some steps, wait 1:30hs, create tarball, wait 1:30hs, reset VERSION
>> file, wait 1:30hs ... which is a pain).
>
> Isn't the issue the release procedure itself? It has a bunch of steps which need to be done manually.

Sure. But if one has to wait 1:30 hs for the next step it overall
takes a lot of time.
Hence my (meanwhile discarded) wish to have a faster CI as it
meanwhile exists in G84.

> I counted 3 pushes which is what triggers the CI.

Indeed perhaps only 3 pushes and not 5.

> 1) release VERSION file push
> 2) tag push
> 3) development VERSION file push
>
> The release needs step 2 to be completed. We were doing step 2 only after CI for step 1 completed to make sure the CI runs on the branch at that time before the tag is made in step 2.
> I guess the reason to wait after step 2 before doing step 3 is to make sure that the automated part of the release procedure linked to step 2 actually went through. Is this correct?

It also includes that the complete build of artefacts is needed for
download/upload to grass.osgeo.org and the download server.

(unrelated to the CI part then also milestone cleanup, etc. follows,
so after step 3 more is to be done)

Cheers
Markus