[STATSGRASS] gstat: problem with prediction value at point location

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Jan 23 09:38:51 EST 2007

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, [UTF-8] Jarosław Jasiewicz wrote:

> Roger Bivand napisał(a):
> > On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Edzer J. Pebesma wrote:
> >

> >> My guess is that the technique you're referring to (and used by
> >> Geostatistical Analyst, afaik) is [kriging in] cross
> >> validation---observations are left out to obtain a kriging estimate for
> >> which it makes sense to compare it with the observation. Definitely
> >> distinct from kriging, which does not leave observations out.
> >>

> > When run head to head, gstat CV LOO (leave one out) on trend surfaces and
> > GA give the same results, so, yes, GA seems by default to do LOO CV.

Leave-one-out cross validation is when you make a prediction for data
point j, using the data for point i=1,...,n; i!=j (leave out j). That
means that you can validly compare the observed value at j with its
prediction made using all the rest of the data (and the same variogram
model for all cases). Then you do RMSE on the LOO CV residuals. See
?gstat.cv in the gstat package.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no