[STATSGRASS] gstat probability maps

Edzer J. Pebesma e.pebesma at geo.uu.nl
Tue Mar 27 13:34:49 EDT 2007

Dear Wolf & Pierluigi,

I believe that it is another common misunderstanding to believe that
indicator kriging is needed to obtain (estimates of) probabilities. You
can of course do it, try something along the lines of

v <- variogram(I(zinc>500)~1, meuse)
m <- vgm(.15, "Sph", 874, .1) # just filling in some values here
ik <- krige(I(zinc>500)~1, meuse, meuse.grid, m)

but then you give up any information on how far an observation is below
or above 500, as data are transformed to 0 (below 500) and 1 (above 500)
values. IMO this is valuable information, and although you may criticize
the Gaussian assumption (on the log-scale) underlying my previous
suggestion, at least it leads to "true" probabilities, instead of
interpolated 0 and 1 values that may (and will) as well lie outside the
interval [0,1].

I wouldn't go as far as advising never to use indicator kriging, but the
automatic "for probabilities you need indicator kriging" clearly misses
important essentials of geostatistics.

Both issues, the need to simulate or the need for indicator transforms
to obtain probabilities, have been pushed by certain authors that know
better, and re-arise from time to time. A third and related issue is the
suggestion that the (ordinary) kriging variance is not a measure for
prediction error; see the following ai-geostats thread:
http://www.mail-archive.com/ai-geostats%40jrc.it/msg02890.html

Best wishes,
--
Edzer