[GRASSLIST:5109] Re: NVIZ fails - cannot find libpg.so.2

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Nov 28 10:49:37 EST 2002

Geoff Chinn wrote:

> When I try to start NVIZ it fails with the error message...
>
> /usr/local/grass5/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2: error while loading shared library:
>  libpg.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> When I compiled Grass 5.0 on Red Hat 7.3 OS I had to specify these
> parameters...
>
> ./configure --with-postgres-includes='/usr/local/pgsql/include/internal
> /usr/local/pgsql/include'
>  --with-postgres-libs='/usr/local/pgsql/lib'
>
> I have tried putting symbolic inks to libpg.so.2 in /usr/lib with no effect.

The loader doesn't search /usr/lib directly.

What happens is that "ldconfig" (which is normally run as part of the
boot sequence) scans /lib, /usr/lib, and any directories which are
listed in /etc/ld.so.conf, and creates the file /etc/ld.so.cache. The
loader refers to /etc/ld.so.cache to locate shared libraries.

So, you need to run "ldconfig" whenever you add libraries (or links
thereto) to any of the system's library directories.