[GRASS-user] OpenFileGDB input error

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 15:06:55 PDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 11:43 PM, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
wrote:

> > I tested with v.in.ogr, and OGR_G_GetLinearGeometry() does not convert
>
> > these beasts into a linear geometry.
>
> Yes that's why I mentionned it. Strictly speaking those geometries are
linear (ie they don't have curves)

They (TRIANGLE, TIN, POLYHEDRALSURFACE) might be linear, but apparently
they can not be easily translated to any of the traditional linear features
point, line, polygon.

> > Testing around a bit, the difference between OGR_G_GetLinearGeometry()
and
> > OGR_G_ForceTo() is very useful. I would prefer to leave the decision if
> > these beasts can be safely converted to a linear form with
> > OGR_G_GetLinearGeometry() to the GDAL/OGR developers.
>
> I think I considered it at some moment, but decided not for the above
mentionned reason. Perhaps a
OGR_G_ForceToOldGoodSevenTraditionalGeometryType() would have been needed
;-)

IMHO, the current behaviour of OGR_G_GetLinearGeometry() is perfectly fine.

We will make a plan for TRIANGLE, TIN, POLYHEDRALSURFACE when the need
arises.

Markus M