[winGRASS] winGRASS/cygwin status update

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Mon Sep 3 18:39:41 EDT 2001

Hi,

just another status update:
With the old fix for xterm.exe the XFree86 server runs again on my
machine. If someone needs the fixed file and can not find it, please
mail me.

I can recompile the latest code (with the exeption of the PNGdriver and
NVIZ), it seems to run as far as i could test.

I can start tcltkgrass under:
StarNet XWin-32 Server
XFree86/cygwin with twm
XFree86/cygwin with blackbox wm
XFree86/cygwin with xfce wm

But with XFree86 everything is unbearable slow. Not slow, really
sloooooow. With the StarNet Server it is 10 times faster on the same
machine. It seems that XFree86 is not yet really useful, but perhaps
there is a misconfiguration on my machine.

I fear we can not support FAT, the cygwin installation is problematic on
FAT as it contains many files (UNIX style), which consume each one
cluster, so a full cygwin installation may occupy 950 MB on a FAT
partition with 64 KB cluster size. The same holds true for the GRASS
distribution. FAT32 IMHO does not have this problem. So this boils down
to Win95 not supported?

Next week cygwin 1.3.3 will be released, if i update i'll tell
success/failure.

cu,

Andreas
url: http://mitglied.tripod.de/AndreasLange
mail: Andreas.Lange_at_Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange_at_GMX.net