[winGRASS] accessing help files with IE

John Robertson jr1 at jrshelby.com
Mon Apr 4 06:38:06 EDT 2005

1. From the GUI (display manager), when I click on
Help, GRASS Help,
IE loads
C:\cygwin\usr\local\grass-6.0.0\docs\html\index.html

2. and if from ../index.html, I then click on
imagery commands, i.caa
IE loads
C:\cygwin\usr\local\grass-6.0.0\docs\html\i.cca.html

3. In the GUI (display manager), if I click on
Image, Transform image, Canonical component, Help
IE tries to but cannot load
http:///usr/local/grass-6.0.0/docs/html/i.cca.html

4. In the IE address box, if I replace
http://
with
c:/cygwin
( I used slashes but back-slashes may work as well)
so that the address box now reads
c:/cygwin/usr/local/grass-6.0.0/docs/html/i.cca.html
it loads the requested help file
which we can see is the help file we were able to load from the main GUI
(display manager) screen,
in 2., above.

Is there something (e.g., environment variable?) that could be set so that
when "http://" is called for, what will actually be used is "c:/cygwin"

I found that if, the first time I did that, I copied "c:/cygwin" into the
windows clipboard, in later use of other help files other than from the
main GUI (display manager) screen, when I got the error message, I could
select "http://" and paste the "c:/cygwin" as a replacement.  Clunky, but
it works.

Any other fix or workaround?