[winGRASS] Re: winGRASS and cygwin, and GIS lock issue

Isaac Ullah isaac.ullah at asu.edu
Sat Dec 2 16:55:53 EST 2006

Hi Listers,

    Jonathan is exactly right about the issues with the new winGRASS for
those of us that previously had CYGWIN with GRASS installed on our machines.
Removing CYGWIN is not easy, however, as there is no "uninstall" option for
CYGWIN. I had to search around for a solution: Apparently, some of the files
in the Cygwin directory are given very different perissions from ordinary
files. They are assigned "system" as their owner, and even if you are an
administrator, you cannot delete them with the default way windows wants to
have things organized. In a standard windows exploer window, you have to
click tools > folder options, and select the "view" tab from the dialogue
box that pops up. You have to scroll down the list, and uncheck the box next
to "use simple file sharing". Now when you right click on an item, and
select proerties, there are several new tabs in the window. You must go to
the "security" tab, and change the owner ship and permissions associated
with those cygwin files that are apparently undeleteble. Once that is done,
you should now be able to manually delete everything asscociate with cygwin
(which conveniently is all in the cygwin directory).
   Also, Jonathan, your solution to the Locking problem is probably okay. I
know that it was put in there in the Linux version to prevent more than one
user at a time from reading and writing on the same set of GRASS files. This
was only needed if your GIS database was located on a server or was shared
over a network. Since this does not apply to the curretn WinGRASS, you can
actually simply delete those lines without any issue. In fact, that may be
something that should be done to the WinGRASS packages anyway...

Cheers,

Isaac

------------------------------

> Message: 4
> Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 14:24:13 -0500
> From: "Jonathan Aguero" <jua130 at psu.edu>
> Subject: RE: [winGRASS] grass native installation problem
> To: "'Bryan Keith'" <bryan at geomega.com>, "'Jack'"
>         <jacques.charroy at laposte.net>
> Cc: wingrass at grass.itc.it
> psu.edu>

> Brian and Jacques,
> I just had the same problem with my WinXP system. It seems that the
> problem
> was related to my old Cygwin installation. I removed cygwin and clean up
> the
> environmental variables related and then GRASS worked.
> If the CYGWIN variable is defined in your system, the grass init script
> assumes that the shell is bash instead of the bourne shell (sh) used by
> MINGW/msys.
> I hope this help you guys.
>
> Jonathan Aguero Valverde
> Research Assistant and Ph.D. Candidate
> Pennsylvania State University
> The Pennsylvania Transportation Institute
> 201 Transportation Research Building
> University Park, PA 16802
> www.personal.psu.edu/jua130

Isaac I Ullah, M.A.

Archaeology PhD Student,
ASU School of Evolution and Social Change

Research Assistant,
Mediterranean Landscape Dynamics Project
isaac.ullah at asu.edu
ullah at archaeologist.com

http://www.public.asu.edu/~iullah