[winGRASS] help with wingrass initialization

Jeremy Sears searsj at inac-ainc.gc.ca
Fri Nov 24 13:31:22 EST 2006

Hey All,
I'm having some troubles with using winGRASS. I believe that I've
managed to install GRASS correctly. I'm hoping that someone can help
me out with the following issues:

1.	Every time I start grass I get the following warning:
"Invalid database. Finding first valid directory in parent tree"
         It would seem that grass always wants to start from my user
folder (ie: c:/docs and settings/user/). Should/can I change the default
to point to a grass database?

2.	After 'ok'ing my way outta the above mentioned warning, I
proceed to indicate to GRASS where I have put the spearfish set of
sample data. I have this data in the following dir:

C:/grassdata/spearfish/*

I also have created a folder in the /spearfish/ dir called
"mapset1". (I'm not sure if this was a correct step, I'm
assuming that one needs a folder to hold info related to a mapset).

The issue is that I can't get past the data selection screen. I point
the 'GIS Data Directory" to "c:/grassdata/" and the project
location to "c:/grassdata/spearfish/". After doing this, my folder
called 'mapset1' shows up, I select this and get an error indicating
the mapset is invalid (Warning: <8> is not a valid mapset).
I've also tried to create a mapset in the spearfish dir. I get the
following error when this is attempted: Error: couldn't change working
directory to "##ERROR##": no such file or directory.

Does anyone have an idea as to what I need to do to make this work?

Many Thanks
Jeremy Sears