[GRASS-windows] Colour code vector maps

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Aug 14 05:07:43 EDT 2008

On 13/08/08 11:20, Arran_Jay wrote:
> I’m trying to colour code a vector map within WinGRASS. I found a command
> called d.vect.thematic that would do what I want but it seems to only work
> through a monitor so I can’t make it work. Does anyone know of a way around
> using monitors to display a map colour coded by an attribute column?
> Preferably I’d like a way to use several colours (say purple to dark red to
> red to orange to yellow) from a false colour display scale. The data is
> numeric, ranged between 0 and 100. For example, I have geographic regions
> within my map whose shapes are given by vector polygons and for each of
> those I know an attribute (e.g. average rainfall within that region) and I
> would like to produce a false colour map where the regions are colour coded
> by the amount of rainfall (e.g. blue for wet areas, green for typical rain
> levels, and yellow in low rainfall parts of the country). I don't mind if
> the final map is a raster or a vector.

How did you launch d.vect.thematic. AFAIR, d.vect.thematic should work
in the GUI, i.e. using the 'Add thematic layer' button. If you want to
call d.vect.thematic from a command line, use the -s flag, so that it
doesn't use monitors.

If you don't get a nice legend in the GUI, you can use the psmap=
parameter to create a ps.map instruction files, one for the map and one
for the legend

Moritz