[GRASS-windows] Grass and Vista

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri May 1 13:02:21 EDT 2009

Bob,

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Bob English <bobengl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> A few of weeks ago, I downloaded and installed QGIS and GRASS using
> the OSGeo4W setup program on Windows Vista Business.  Like others (I
> looked at the bug reports), I've had trouble using the GRASS plugin
> for QGIS.  I also experience crashes of GRASS.  I installed GRASS 6.4
> ORC4 on Vista, and that version works fairly well by itself, although
> I'm not able to connect to my PostgreSQL database as of yet (perhaps a
> Vista file permission problem?).

According to
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/CompileOnWindows
the standalone winGRASS installer was compiled without PostgreSQL
support.

> My question is have the outstanding Vista bugs been solved and
> incorporated into the current OSGeo4W setup version so that GRASS and
> QGIS work together?  If not, is there any information on when this
> might happen?

Central problems have been fixed. The standalone winGRASS installer
was updated yesterday:
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/binary/mswindows/native/WinGRASS-6.4.0SVN-r36903-1-Setup.exe

The OSGeo4W Installer version is from 29-Mar-2009, so lagging a bit
behind. An update is best asked on the OSGeo4W mailing list, see
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki

In general, we hope to get out GRASS 6.4.0final soon, then all binary
packages will be aligned.

Markus