[GRASS-windows] Compiling WINGrass

Johannes Radinger JRadinger at gmx.at
Sun Nov 13 15:29:04 EST 2011

Hi,
>>> Johannes Radinger at JOHANNES /osgeo4w/usr/src/grass-6.5.svn/lib/python
>>> $ make
>>> make: *** No rule to make target `|', needed by
>>> `/osgeo4w/usr/src/grass-6.5.svn
>>> /dist.i686-pc-mingw32/etc/python/grass/script/core.py'.  Stop.
> It means that you need GNU make 3.81.
>
> Originally, the policy was to require 3.81 for 7.0 but ensure that 6.x
> works with older versions. I don't know whether that policy has been
> abandoned, or if it's just a case of careless back-porting from 7.0.
>
> [CC to grass-dev for clarification; I think that we discussed this
> fairly recently, but I don't recall the outcome.]

I think my GNU make is the one which comes with the MSys (1.0.11-3) from
the Osgeo4W installer.
"MSYS is a collection of GNU utilities such as bash, make, gawk and
grep...".
I just followed the instructions from the GRASS wiki:
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/CompileOnWindows

So I don't know which version of GNU make is bundled with that. Anyway
if I need version
3.81 how do I have to proceed so that I don't destroy anything what I
have done so far
according to the steps in the wiki?

What exactly do I have to download and where excactly do I have to
install it??
So far I just followed the instructions in the wiki, and at least the
configure works.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Johannes