[Incubator] Mentor Guidelines (was: Re: [EXTERN] Re: Masterportal - OS Geo Incubator Application Questionnaire)

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Tue Jul 25 12:17:28 PDT 2023

Just seeing that my last edit of the Mentor Guidelines [1] is almost 10
years old. Won't hurt to revisit... :-)

Also, some stable documents are gone [2], [3] we should look into fixing
this.

When we started out with OSGeo we had the hen and egg problem of coders
also wanting to promote their "own" project and we even had some
competing projects (pun intended). We were therefore especially careful
to craft the rules so as to avoid bias within the committee and also to
be as transparent as possible. This is still perfectly valid.

 From my experience the mentor does not really have much of a say in
accepting a project, they can only help the project do their homework
and then recommend it for graduation. The vote happens publicly by
committee members and then needs to be promoted to the board of
directors who have the last say. In case we get there I would be happy
to abstain from the vote - hoping that we still have enough active
members to get a representative vote at all.

Which brings me to another aspect of the incubation committee: How can
new members join, so far we have mostly only lost old  members? Should
we maybe actively reach out to generate some interest in the process? I
do think that the whole incubation thingy may become more interesting
again seeing some projects stray from real Open Source to "mixed" models
and even plainly locked-up proprietary licenses and governance. This
topic may morph into a new thread if there are others interested in
following up.

Cheers,
Seven

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Incubation_Mentor_Guidelines
[2] https://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/statustemplate.html
[3]
http://old.www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/project_graduation_checklist.html
referenced from https://www.osgeo.org/about/committees/incubation/mentor/

Am 25.07.23 um 20:03 schrieb Jody Garnett:
> Greg:
>
> Really we just need someone with a few moments of time to check if
> your project meets the join the osgeo community program
> <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Incubation_Committee#Step_2:_Join_Community_Projects_Program>.
>
> You are not seeking a mentor presently.
>
> OSGeo asked us to write down how we operate here:
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Incubation_Committee#Committee_Operation
>
> Some folks have chosen to vote +0 or -0 if they feel they are too
> close to a project. There is no requirement to do this however - the
> important part is that we have clear communication.
>

> On Jul 25, 2023 at 9:51:40 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:
>> I am not really clear on the details here, but I would think that the
>> osgeo person doing mentorship should not have *any* conflict of interest
>> about the project.  Or perhaps it is strictly 'mentor' and has nothing
>> to do with the approval process.

http://metaspatial.net
Digitally Enabling your Business.