[Java-collab] OSGeom code initiation

Ben Caradoc-Davies Ben.Caradoc-Davies at csiro.au
Tue Jul 28 23:24:00 EDT 2009

Axel FRANCOIS wrote:
>  >I think we are focusing on GML this time around; you are welcome to
>  >wrap the result in GeoAPI wrappers if you like.
>  >Jody
> Do you mean that the project scope is restricted to GML parsing and
> formatting without geometry operations,

No.

> or do you mean that the model
> for geometric objects is the GML model?

Yes. We need the geometry operations. The GML spec has more support here
because it is open.

> In the later case GML and ISO
> 19107 are the same thing, so my question still applies ?

I think Jody's answer still applies: it should be straightforward to
wrap/adapt to make the new geometry code work with GeoAPI.

You are opening a can of worms (bag of crabs, I believe, en francais).
GeoAPI has not been as widely adopted as was once hoped, and I do not
think there is support for basing the new geometry module on it. There
are other off-topic issues, and the more diplomatic members are (in my
view) avoiding discussing them on this list.

Axel, your thesis project sounds very closely aligned with the general
direction of the new geometry module. I welcome your involvement.

Kind regards,

Software Engineer, CSIRO Exploration and Mining
Australian Resources Research Centre
26 Dick Perry Ave, Kensington WA 6151, Australia