[Lexicon] 1st telecon: 2020-03-06 Agenda

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 11:34:25 PST 2020

Hi Reese,

Thanks for setting the agenda - you have added some good questions and
talking points.

I've added some answers and suggestions below in order to start the
conversation in advance. Others might like to do the same.

I'm going to try and make the first hour of this meeting (it is a bit
past my bedtime). As mentioned to a couple of you, I'm personally
over-committed across a bunch of open source projects, and so my
involvement will need to be very light, mostly limited to email. In
particular, I'm hoping to capture best practices which I'm expecting
will develop out of this Lexicon committee, and take into
TheGoodDocsProject (where we are building documentation templates for
open source projects).

Reese, I really appreciate you stepping up and taking the initiative
here. Hopefully we will see the others who have shown interest to jump
in and contribute too.

Comments inline:

On 4/3/20 12:05 am, Reese Plews (ISO/TC211 - TMG) wrote:
> Agenda
>
> 1) Greetings & roll call
> 2) Acceptance of the agenda
> 3) Status update on current documents
>
> 4) Discussion (Group Leader / Members – 20 min.)
> In standards development organizations (SDOs) terminology entries are
> submitted by
> the project team at specific stages of during the development of the
> project. However,
> the structure and operation of OSGEO is different than that of an
> (SDO). Therefore,
> some discussion topics arise:
> a) who is developing terminology entries in OSGEO?

I think you will find most of these people are now on this email list.

They are people who have shown to care about glossaries in different
OSGeo projects. Some have titles, most probably don't. As a gross
generalisation, I've found that people without titles often produce
better quality work.

> b) how will the Lexicon Group obtain the terminology entries to
> examine and
> discuss?
> c) are there procedures in place for this to happen or does the
> Lexicon Group need
> to develop these procedures?

We will need to define these procedures, which I think should be derived
from a combination of ISO and OSGeo processes.

Probably start from an ISO process, review, remove some of the
formality, insert some of the community decision making from OSGeo and
other open source processes.

Do you know of an ISO or OGC process development doc which would make
sense to start from?

> d) what are the incentives that the developers will use the feedback
> or entries
> edited by the Lexicon Group?

I'm confident that if the OSGeo Lexicon Group maintain a Lexicon list,
actively maintain it, and provide processes which are easy to use, then
it will be used.

Centralising the effort in one place (the lexicon group) will make it
easier for each of the other projects. It will save them time and in the
process they will gain a professional glossary for their project.

The key it to ensure the project gains momentum and starts producing
content. If we push through next 3 to 6 months and produce an alpha
version, then we should be setting ourselves up for long term success.

> 5) Overview and demo of the osgeo.geolexica platform

It might be worth recording a short video of this, (maybe recording this
section of the meeting), or providing an howto with screenshots. This
can then be shared with those who can't make the meeting timeslot.

> 6) Moving Forward – Abbreviated terms and acronyms
> A data listing of abbreviated terms and acronyms was assembled in late
> 2019. This has
> been roughly examined and some categories have been proposed. As a
> first project the
> group it is proposed that we re-examine both the entries and the
> categories. Upon
> finalization, these will be added to osgeo.geolexica.org and made
> available for the
> OSGEO members to use.
> Expected work duration (March 9 – March 27) [ using google docs for
> proposals/feedback/discussion] followed up at next telecon (or
> separately) to review
> and discuss outstanding issues.
Sounds like a good plan.

--