[Liblas-devel] NSIS and liblas

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Oct 7 16:07:05 EDT 2008

Martin Rodriguez pisze:
> Hi:
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/browser/trunk/setup
>
> Is this installation software done from scratch ???

Yes, it is.

> Is it supposed the packages in OSGeo4W are optional??

Some are optional some are required, depending on what a user is wants
to install. The OSGeo4W installer works just like apt-get for Debian's
deb packages. Another analogy is Cygwin.

The setup.exe is very small, less than 0.5 MB. The wizard allows user to
select ony those packages (libraries, servers, applications, etc.) she
wants to install. Then the installer downloads all the selected
packages + all required dependencies.

For instance, if I want to install PROJ.4 only then I just select it in
the installer and I get it downloaded and installed.
However, if I want to install GDAL I also select it but then the
installer will also download & install some GDAL's dependencies along,
like PROJ.4, GEOS, etc.

Shortly, the OSGeo4W is very powerful and it does install only what user
wants to use, nothing more.

> There many osgeo software not useful for many people.

...in the packages repository, yes but user will get only what she needs
as I've explained above.

> In the .NET bindings topic I believe it would be great installed in the GAC
> To use in the visual studio like a typical .NET reference. But for this we
> need registers the c++ DLL path in windows I believe.

Why not to install it through the OSGeo4W installer?

I don't mind to support GAC, X, Y, Z...your favorite installer here...
but I'd recommend to follow Hobu's idea - to join libLAS to the FOSS4G
stack for Windows. The FOSS4G stack for Windows is OSGeo4W.

One of the main advantage behind OSGeo4W is exactly the same as deb
packages repository for Debian users. You can get all what you need in
easy way without worrying about dependencies and where to find them.

I hope it makes sense.

Best regards,