[Live-demo] make translation easier - define software version in conf.py

Astrid Emde astrid.emde at wheregroup.com
Mon Dec 8 23:22:07 PST 2014

Hello Cameron,

thanks for your answer.

Maybe we could check conf.py for changes too and define a rule for
commit messages like - "version mapbender3 changed, final 8.5"

If something in the text of the overview files changes it still means
that the translators must have a look and translate.

I like your idea to loop through all translations and updates the
version number to the English master version.

Astrid

Am 05.12.2014 10:02, schrieb Cameron Shorter:
> Hi Astrid,
> You bring up a valid concern.
>
> There is a reason that we currently prefer version numbers to be hard
> coded into the Project Overview text instead of by using a variable.
>
> We wish to verify that if an application has been updated, then
> someone has assessed whether the Project Overview has been looked at
> and updated. We do this by checking svn timestamps on the
> <project>_overview.rst. If the version number changes, then the
> <project>_overview.rst should change too. If the version number is
> stored in a conf.py file instead, then we will need to think of
> another way to check that each ProjectOverview has been reviewed and
> updated.
>
> I'm open to suggestions.
> We could relatively easily write a script which loops through all
> translations and updates the version number to the English master
> version.
>
> On 4/12/2014 5:50 pm, Astrid Emde wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I do not know, whether you discussed this before.
>>
>> Before each OSGeo-Live version comes out the translators have to edit
>> many files and sometimes only have to change the version of the
>> software.
>>
>> Things are much easier and less work, if the version is only defined at
>> one place as a variable and the version is used in all the overview
>> translations.
>>
>> Some projects use this way already and I would like to encourage more
>> projects to make it this way.
>>
>> Have a look at:
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/doc/conf.py
>> 1.)  f.e. define  |version-geoserver| replace:: 2.5
>>
>> 2.) and refer in the xx_overview.rst like this
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/doc/de/overview/geoserver_overview.rst
>>

>> **Software Version:** |version-geoserver|
>>
>> Like this only changes in the text of the overview document have to be
>> translated for every new version.
>>
>> Astrid

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Astrid Emde