[mapserver-dev] IGNORE_MISSING_DATA

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Oct 17 11:11:46 EDT 2008

Jeff McKenna wrote:
> I'd like to follow up on Daniel's comment: shouldn't we remove the
> '--ignore-missing-data' compile switch completely and have this
> triggered only by the CONFIG parameter?  Definitely.  As I understand
> it, if I forget to set that switch for MS4W users they would still need
> somehow re-compile MapServer for this functionality...which we are
> really trying to avoid here, I thought.

No don't drop the switch. It is a major regression for anyone that uses
the switch on a regular basis. If you regularly build mapserver using
the switch, and I do, then you would have to edit every mapfile that you
ever built to add the CONFIG parameter. This will be insane especially
if you have lots of files and you have to go back to clients and fix it
there when they upgrade. Also you have to maintain two copies of every
mapfile, with and without the CONFIG if you are supporting sites with
multiple versions of mapserver running.

It is not a big deal to leave the compile time switch there. You can
document that the switch as depreciated and the people should use the
CONFIG parameter. In fact the compile switch is only changing the
default value of the CONFIG parameter.

-Steve