[mapserver-dev] Proposal for GeoJSON support in MapServer

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Wed Jan 28 09:53:36 EST 2009

I have been thinking about the discussion we had about Canvas support in
MapServer, and although the problem has been solved as far as I am
concerned, perhaps a more general solution could be considered: to
implement GeoJSON natively in MapServer, like it has been done in
GeoServer. This would not only make Canvas support easier, but could
have some further advantages , as you can see further on. So I would
like to propose:

1) To implement a full GeoJSON representation of the complete MapServer
map at the server side: layer geometries and styles. This would be an
ASCII string and could be  constructed quite easily, AFAICS, by looping
throug the map elements and writing them to a string sourrounded by the
appropriate square and curly brackets. This string could be made
available to the calling client via a template variable, e.g. [GeoJSON].
The only thing the client has to do is to declare a JavaScript header in
the template file:

<script>
var gs = eval([GeoJSON])
</script>

and from that point on the complete internal representation of the map
would be available (loopable and searcheable) in the variable gs as
Javascript arrays and objects. Extra properties like bounding boxes for
map and elements could be added to facilitate client side searching  and
zooming.

Note that this GeoJSON template variable can be combined with a regular
map returned as an image. The information in the GeoJSON template
variable could be used  e.g. to zoom to (parts of) the returned map.

If you don't want the complete map tree, you can always use Steve's
procedure as he described it below to return parts of the map via the
TEMPLATE output driver. It's simple enough.

2) To add "mode=geojson" to the mapserver CGI mode control. This for
people like me who prefer to work without templates (although they are a
brilliant invention). The Javascript header would be in that case:

<script>
var gs =
</script>
<script
src=http://mapserver.sara.nl/cgi-bin-mapserv.map=GeoJSON.map&mode=geojson></script>
<script>
gs = eval(gs)
</script>

3) To add GeoJSON as output driver. This overlaps with 2), so it
wouldn't be strictly necessary. The only difference would be that the
javaScript call would have "mode=map"

4) To write separate generalized Javascript  routines to convert the
returned GeoJSON to Canvas and VRM. If the GeoJSON object will be
implemented, I am willing to do this.

5) To implement the GeoJSON structures in the scripting languages. JSON
can be converted to about any language available, so if a script
language, e.g. PHP MapScript, can obtain the ASCII GeoJSON
representation of the complete MapServer map, it can convert its members
to native PHP arrays and objects. That would make the link between the
MapServer engine and the scripting language engines much simpler and
much more uniform. In the last resort, this would make redundant the
SWIG interface, as the complete interface would now be implemented via
an ASCII string.

This could cause some performance overhead, but probably not very
serious, especially since I would expect really performance-hungry
applications to be written in MapServer CGI, while scripted applications
will probably be more directed to analytic cartography and have other
performance bottlenecks.

6) To implement new drivers via the GeoJSON interface. The Canvas driver
is a simple example, but new drivers for other formats could just as
well communicate with the MapServer core with GeoJSON, via a  JSON-C
interface. Perhaps even the GDAL/OGR bridge could  benefit from this
construction. However, in this case performance will be a major issue:
it is not clear whether this way of writing driver will be more or less
efficient than the plugin scenario discussed on this list.

7) To implement the MapFile in GeoJSON format. If the output of a
MapServer map can be represented in GeoJSON, then so can the input
MapFile. There has been for years a discussion on this list about a
MapFile in SVG format. Perhaps a GeoJSON MapFile will be easier to
implement, certainly if  it can be derived from the template mechanism
of 1). Once such a  GeoJSON mapfile exists, it can easily be converted
to SVG.

Jan