[mapserver-dev] Vote for MS-RFC-55: Improve control of output resolution

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Mar 16 14:00:51 EDT 2009

On 16-Mar-09, at 1:46 PM, Daniel Morissette wrote:

> Paul Spencer wrote:
>> how about RESOLUTION and OUTPUTRESOLUTION where RESOLUTION would be
>> DEFRESOLUTION as defined in the RFC?
>
> Thought of that one too, but that would mean a change of meaning and
> behavior for the existing RESOLUTION keyword. i.e. all apps that
> currently use RESOLUTION would need to be adapted to use
> OUTPUTRESOLUTION instead (in scripts or in URL params).
>
> OTOH if we add a new keyword such as DEFRESOLUTION then existing
> apps continue to pass/set resolution the same way. With the proposed
> approach, the only change to existing apps may be to set
> DEFRESOLUTION to be the same value as RESOLUTION if they do not wish
> to have the symbology scaled, but that would be a very very rare case.

Wouldn't RESOLUTION continue to work exactly as it does now?  If you
set it via the CGI or mapscript it would have effect that it has now
as OUTPUTRESOLUTION would assume the value of RESOLUTION if it isn't
explicitly set.  The only change in behaviour would be if you
specifically set OUTPUTRESOLUTION to something other than RESOLUTION.

Paul

    Paul Spencer
    Chief Technology Officer
    DM Solutions Group Inc