[Mapserver-inspire] MapServer and INSPIRE

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) bartvde at osgis.nl
Tue Mar 29 04:31:45 EDT 2011

Hi Guilllaume,

thanks for the documents.

I have a question about Quality of Service (QoS).

In The Netherlands there has been an experiment with Protected Sites, and
they got very small image sizes using PNG or GIF, so they switched to a
raw format such as image/bmp for their test (and an image size of about
350 by 450 pixels).

So my question is, what is the policy of INSPIRE in this regard:
1) create a bigger image in PNG/GIF to meet the QoS image size?
2) change the image format to something raw (like they did in the above
experiment)?
3) use a correction factor F instead, so if image of 800x600 is only 50
Kilobytesc instead of 470, throughput should be F * 20 instead?

I think it would be good to put some guidance on this subject in the
INSPIRE documents. What do you think?

Also, I assume QoS testing should be done 1 layer at a time in the
request? They used multiple layers in the same GetMap request.

TIA for any guidance.

Best regards,
Bart