Opinions Needed - Point Labeling

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Nov 24 10:47:51 EST 1999

You've described what is currently supported 1. describes point layers and
2. describes annotation. Only remaining issue is buffered labels and their interaction
with placed markers. With annotation this is handled fine, but with points you only
want the raw label bbox tested against placed markers, not the buffered bbox.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Brent Fraser" <bfraser at geoanalytic.com> 11/24/99 09:35AM >>>
Sounds OK.  Generally my needs are

1. Geographic point entities must  be symbolized, regardless of overlap (eg
Oil wells).  The labels that related to these points should be in the same
relative location (eg above-center), but if they overlap with other labels,
try to place them in other locations, and as a last resort don't label if
the labels overlap.  In the case of a map of oils wells, I would not want
labels from any other layer overlapping the well symbols or their labels.

and (of much less importance):

2. Symbolize points in a cartographically pleasing manner (eg populated
places markers), but it's ok to not symbolize if they overlap, and it's OK
not to label if the labels overlap.

Brent Fraser