building mapserver w/o shared gd

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Oct 18 13:43:58 EDT 2000

Did you try "-B static -lgd -B dynamic" or something like that? These are
linker options on Sun's ld. Must be something like that elsewhere.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> <imap at chesapeake.net> 10/18/00 01:21AM >>>

I've been grappling with the problem for a long time...
I am trying to build mapserver with a static linkage to
gd-1.2 (libgd.a).  On the more recent versions of redhat
linux, there exists a libgd.so (shared lib) in /usr/lib
and the compiler *always* links to the shared lib in the
gcc standard list of directories before those paths defined
by -L.

The one thing that I know that works.. is deleteing the
gd headers and lib from the standard directories (/usr/include
and /usr/lib)...  but that isnt a nice thing to do to someone
elses machine, especially if they are using it.   I have tried
the gcc linker -static with no luck.  Does anyone know of a
work around for this problem?

Regards,

Chris Stuber (mapsurfer)
Silicon Mapping Solutions Inc