Perl/Mapscript and mod_perl ?

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Oct 19 16:46:36 EDT 2000

It's not a mapserver issue per se. Apparently there are issues with SWIG generated code that make unusable with mod_perl. I haven't checked the SWIG site to see if this has been fixed or not. There was a patch. Issues all have to do with perl internals, nasty stuff.

In spite of this I've run simple mapscript stuff under mod_perl without incident using Apache::PerlRun.

Note that the map file object is NOT reentrant. It's structures are modified during the course of a draw. Nay need a mapObj copy function to use under Apache::Registry if the SWIG problems can be overcome.

Steve

>>> "Doyon, Jean-Francois" <Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca> 10/19/00 14:15 PM >>>
Goodday !

I've been quiet lately, so I came up with a new question :)

I was wondering if anybody has had experience running Perl/Mapscript
programs
using mod_perl through the Apache::Registry module ?

My main concern is that I vaguely remember hearing about some people having
detected
memory leaks and so on, presumably from the mapserver module itself.
This might be a concern since I will be putting the program under HEAVY
load.

I plan on implementing under Apache 1.3.14, mod_perl 1.24_01 and Perl 5.6

If anybody has any experience with a similar setup, I'd love to hear about
them !

Thanks,

Jean-Francois Doyon
Internet Service Development and Systems Support
GeoAccess Division
Natural Resources Canada
(613) 992-4902