Projection - geographic

Ricardo Wagner Martins ricmar at pro.via-rs.com.br
Tue Sep 26 16:11:23 EDT 2000

Hi all,

I am running Mandrake Linux 7.0.2, Apache 1.3 and mapserv 3.3.010. I
have a .shp file in Lat/Lon coordinates and I've been trying to make it
work without success. Here follow the steps I performed:

1) I compiled the Mapserv with the Proj4 option successfully.
2) I tried to run my mapfile and an error ocurred.
3) I tried to run the sample with this Mapserv as a test and the same
error ocurred again:

    Internal Server Error
"The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was
unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, root at localhost and inform them
of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that
may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error
log."

I didn´t find the "server error log" to see "more information".
I have to say that with the original Mapserv ( without Proj4 option) I
had no problems with the demo, but with my mapfile. The .gif image (
layer ) don't come up.

My questions are:
1) Can I work with Mapserv without Proj4 option or I must use the
statement PROJECTION and in consequence the Mapserv with Proj4 option ?
I red that if all data is in the same system then you don´t need the
Proj4 library at all.

2) Is the position of statement PROJECTION correct ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ricardo Wagner Martins
PROCERGS
Brazil

--------------------------
Here is my mapfile:

 #
# Start of map file - created Mon Sep 25 16:02:15 2000
#
NAME corsan
STATUS ON
SIZE 550 370
SHADESET "/home/httpd/html/ms_corsan/symbols/shade.sym"
MARKERSET "/home/httpd/html/ms_corsan/symbols/marker.sym"
LINESET "/home/httpd/html/ms_corsan/symbols/line.sym"
EXTENT -58.041 -34.084 -49.293 -26.746
UNITS METERS
SHAPEPATH "/home/httpd/html/ms_corsan/data"
IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255

#
# Projection definition, consult the PROJ.4 documentation for parameter
#
PROJECTION
  "proj=utm"
  "ellps=GRS80"