MapServer and Borland C++

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Sep 28 01:09:28 EDT 2000

This speaks to the problems with Windows and the reliance on canned apps, hope nothing goes wrong where source would come in handy. There don't seem to be any decent free Windows compilers outside of the pain involved with cygwin and gcc. BTW VC++ is $99 US. It makes no sense to me to support compilers other than VC++ since what most Windows users really want is a binary distribution. It's amazing that a prime server platform is such a pain to support.

What is really needed is an InstallShield version of MapServer. Actually a couple (i.e. w or w/o proj, gd versions etc) would be best. I think this is a role the University could possibly fill, any volunteers? Should be possible to set up an environment where the Windows distribution is kept in sync with the CVS. Sure would be worth the effort and would greatly add to MapServer credibility.

Steve

>>> Lyndon Zimmermann <lyndon.zimmermann at adelaide.edu.au> 09/27/00 19:50 PM >>>
Daniel,

The desire and necessity for UNIX users to compile from source to suit their
particular machine can be accepted as a given, and I presume they all have compilers
with their operating system, making them effectively free.  Windows users typically
don't get the source code and don't compile their applications before use.  A Windows
compiler is relatively big bucks (I think MS VC/C++ is in the order of A$600 full
price) and high complexity - so much for "Open Source".

I suppose I would ask those doing development of Windows compilation to use a free
compiler rather than an expensive one, or forget about the instructions, Makefiles
etc and just distribute the Windows executable.

PS, I do plan to repeat this exercise under Linux, but I'm currently locked into
delivering on NT.

Regards,

Lyndon Z

--
Lyndon Zimmermann
BE (Mech Adelaide) Grad Dip Bus Admin (UniSA)

Biomass Energy Atlas for Australia Co-ordinator
University of Adelaide Agronomy and Farming Systems
Dir (GISCA) +61-8-8303 3975 Switch (GISCA) 8303 3900 Mob 0414 91 4577
Fax (GISCA) +61-8-8303 3498 email lyndon.zimmermann at adelaide.edu.au

Adelaide Uni Bioenergy Website:
http://www.gisca.adelaide.edu.au/~lzimmerm/uofabioenergy/bioenergy.html
Biomass Energy Atlas Website: