MapServer and Borland C++

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhag at magma.ca
Thu Sep 28 10:56:00 EDT 2000

Steve,

Stephen Lime wrote:

> This speaks to the problems with Windows and the reliance on canned apps, hope nothing goes wrong where source would come in handy. There don't seem to be any decent free Windows compilers outside of the pain involved with cygwin and gcc. BTW VC++ is $99 US. It makes no sense to me to support compilers other than VC++ since what most Windows users really want is a binary distribution. It's amazing that a prime server platform is such a pain to support.
>
> What is really needed is an InstallShield version of MapServer. Actually a couple (i.e. w or w/o proj, gd versions etc) would be best. I think this is a role the University could possibly fill, any volunteers? Should be possible to set up an environment where the Windows distribution is kept in sync with the CVS. Sure would be worth the effort and would greatly add to MapServer credibility.
>
> Steve

We are currently putting forward a proposal that will include the
development of an InstallShield version of MapServer.  The time frame
for this will likely be spring/summer of 2001.  As part of the contract,
all source code would be returned to the MapServer community.  Given
that we receive approval, we'll certainly be in touch to take into
consideration the overall needs of the MapServer product over and above
the specific project we would be working on.

We will know if we have approval on this by mid-December and I will let
you and the list know if it's a go.

It's a great product Steve, our clients have been thrilled by what can
be accomplished with it.  I'm looking forward to announcing public
releases of a couple of our applications in the very near future.

Keep up the good work!!

Dave
--
Dave McIlhagga