[mapserver-users] Railroad and dual carriage way styles

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Dec 13 23:47:37 EST 2001

The problem with the old format was that the offset piece was just an approximation and fell apart in certain instances (like hairpin corners). Some simple rules were used to calculate the offset and this resulted in things like railroad tracks in which tracks were not perpendicular to the rail. In experimentation before I made the switch I found that I could create most every symbol with the new system that the old one supported. The only major deficiency was that truely hollow lines couldn't be supported. You can make parallel lines with space between them but you can't see stuff underlying the space. The new system allows for a wide variety of new symbols with more flexible color schemes that really does boost performance. For example, it used to be that to create a red centerline with a black outline took 2 layer defs (and 2 passes over the data). Now that is done in one pass. In addition you get things like fat polygon outlines. I'll try and post some samples over the weekend.

If we find a particular deficiency I would propose adding a couple of new line symbol types specifically to address them. I don't want to go back to offsets though.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937
>>> "Hockaday, John" <JohnHockaday at auslig.gov.au> 12/13/01 21:34 PM >>>
Steve,

This was a big help.  I managed to get some lines that look similar to the
original formats.

I feel that the Mapserver 3.4 offset capability of the STYLE tag was much
easier to use, understand and looked better.

Developers,

Are there any intentions to reintroduce the offset capability to the STYLE
tag?    Please, please, please say yes!!!  It's much easier to use!!!   ;--)

Thanks again to this list for a quick and accurate response.

John