[mapserver-users] truetype weirdness

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Dec 17 19:06:16 EST 2001

thorsten fischer wrote:

> The WMS enabled box only returns the following message:
>
> <ServiceException>
> msGetLabelSize(): TrueType Font error. Could not find/open font
> </ServiceException>
>
> Fontpath is set, the directory exist and is readable. The 'fontlist'
> file contains valid entries, the .ttf files exist, they are readable as
> well and are valid truetype font files. clases, labelitems and
> classitems are properly set up; uncommenting the bitmap font parts above
> delivers valid results.
>
> # mapserv -v
> MapServer version 3.5 (beta) OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
> SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=TTF SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER INPUT=TIFF INPUT=EPPL7
> INPUT=JPEG INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE
>
> Any suggestions?

Did you recompile your own GD on a system that already came with GD
preloaded in the system libs by any chance?  One possible explanation
for this problem could be that your MapServer was compiled and linked
with a copy of GD, but at runtime it's another copy that gets picked,
the two copies of GD having been compiled with different versions of
freetype.

You might want to use 'ldd mapserv' to double-check that the right copy
of gd and of the supporting freetype get picked.  That's the best I can
think of... this really looks like a system configuration issue.

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca