[mapserver-users] One MapServer-Site more...

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Dec 24 10:50:58 EST 2001

While I imagine mapserver *could* do garbage collection I think that's probably a
waste of it's time and would be better handled by cron. Alternatively you can always
design applications that require no temporary files at all.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

Michael Schulz - GIS Bearbeiter wrote:

> Yes, this was a no-space-left-problem on our domain. But perhaps someone
> can give a hint howto delete the temporary files, without having the
> possibility to install cron-jobs or similiar things because the ISP
> doesn't offer this option. Perhaps it could be done via php, e.g. each
> time the init-page gets loaded old temp files are deleted. Hmm, has
> anybody done something similar?

phplib has a similar garbage collection problem and they generate a
random number, if it is less than X then it does the garbage collection.
This allows you to tune how often garbage collection happens so every
hit isn't trying to do it. (ie. if 0 < random <= 1 and X= 0.1 then
roughly 1 in 10 hits will do garbage collection).

Steve Lime: It would be nice if this feature were added to mapserv such
that you could set the percentage and the age in sec/minutes/hours of
the files to be deleted and have mapserver do the garbage collection. If
percentage == 0.0 of undefined then no GC is done like now.

-Steve