[mapserver-users] ArcSDE 8.1 for Linux

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry at cs.tamu.edu
Thu May 24 00:49:11 EDT 2001

"Ballard,Lowell" wrote:

> My understanding is that it's just the client libraries that are available.
>
> I have heard, unofficially, that full-blown Linux versions do exist but are
> not released.  The best thing to do is provide feedback to your ESRI
> representatives.  It will be a great solution once released (since Oracle
> and all other major RDBMS packages run on Linux).
>
> They will be on the disc labeled ArcSDE Client in a folder called
> red_hat_linux in your ArcGIS 8.1 box.
>
> The current Mapserv won't compile as-is with 8.1 client libs but Steve said
> he was going to work on it so....it's on the way.

I was assured last December at the OGC Technical Committee meeting that
ArcGIS and ArcISM for Linux were to beta q1 or a2 this year for
subsewuent release.  Of course, I haven't seen anything yet to test,
either.

Gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry at cs.tamu.edu
Network Engineering			|Research focusing on
Academy for Advanced Telecommunications |Satellite Geodesy and
and Learning Technologies		|Geodetic Control
Texas A&M University	979.458.4020  (Phone) -- 979.847.8578  (Fax)