[mapserver-users] libxml vs Xerce c++

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Jul 30 16:44:54 EDT 2002

Ricky,

I think that what you propose should be optional at the build level
and NOT a total replacement for the existing mapfile. This allows the
most flexibility for the various user requirements. Some of us might
not want to deal with xml, or have to manage the additional
requirements. On the other hand some people may want to.

We have lots of optional code (at the build level) in mapserver today
and making xml mapfile optional should fit into that same
arrangement.

After all, file format should not dictate what the internal
structures look like and vica versa.

I think one key consideration to any library choice has to be whether
or not it is thread-safe. Other than that, the decision should be
based on comparing the requirements to the various libraries, and
picking the simplest solution that meets our requirements. If we have
not defined the requirements adequately then we are liable to pick a
more complex or feature rich solution to provide us with more options
in the future at the cost of more complexity, overhead, and maintence
costs on a daily basis.

Just my $.02,
   -Steve Woodbridge