[Mapserver-users] what to do w/ ming swf's?

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Wed Apr 30 05:13:01 EDT 2003

Charlton,

You could use the same library Mapserver is using to produce it's swf's: ming.
It's free, and you can use actionscript. It has a php component too. You can
simply program quite complex swf's with that. See the website for more
details, api, etc.: http://ming.sourceforge.net/ , and the ming docs at
php.net.
However, especially when using the php extension (it is a c library
originally) be carefull and play around a bit with different versions, cause
not every version of ming works with every version of php. And it is still in
development, so not everything is working properly. My own experience: though
you might want to use ming-cvs (lots of errors fixed and some better
functionality) I could not get it to work with php. The version I currently
have is ming 0.2a (the tar.gz from the website) which works in combination
with the ming extension that comes bundled with php 4.3.1. If you want to use
a newer ming, you might have to use it as a c library. Which is very well
possible, though, cause you can produce a static swf that dynamically loads a
mapserver produced swf on request, like Ryan Grant wrote. However, when using
this combination be carefull not to mix ming02.a and ming-cvs (you will need
them both I think, cause mapserver depends on 0.2a?).
However, with only 0.2a it's quite possible to produce nice mapserver
interfaces.
You can look at an (very simple) example at
http://www.sarvision.nl/mawas/mapserver/ms-mawas.php . It has nothing to do
with image sequences, but shows you a bit of the possibilities of ming and
building interfaces and integration/communication with mapserver.