[Mapserver-users] Geotiff and Extent confusion

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Wed Dec 24 18:01:15 EST 2003

Michael -

I think Dylan's two suggestions are correct.  I just wanted to add that
you need to be a bit careful using the data you have in a GIS system.
The TopoZone Pro downloads let you retrieve the original data we get
from the USGS, the Tennessee Valley Authority, and the State of
California.  The primary reason we provide that feature is so TopoZone
Pro subscribers can look at the map collar information (revision
history, township/range labels, etc.) that gets cut off in TopoZone.

We're finding that many people are using this as a source of GIS data.
That's OK, but the data's very messy and inconsistent - when we say we
let you download the data as we get it, we mean exactly that <g>.
You'll find that some of the data (from the TVA, for example) aren't
GeoTIFFs, some is projected in NAD83 and some in NAD27, most is UTM but
California is in an Albers projection, most are 250DPI but California is
400DPI and many newer DRGs are 500DPI, etc., etc.

The TIF/TFW files should work correctly for the simple example you're
trying, but if you try to expand beyond that one file you may hit quite
a few bumps in the road.  One of the major tasks in creating TopoZone in
1999 was to figure out how to normalize all this messy data!

Let us know if you have any trouble with the file after you've looked at
Dylan's suggestions.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker