[Mapserver-users] Projection help

Eric Bridger eric at gomoos.org
Wed Feb 26 03:43:22 EST 2003

Kieran,

I know little about projections, but recently got a UTM layer to display
on my non-projected map. So here's what I found:
1) make sure mapserver was compiled with PROJ4 support: /cgi-bin/mapserv
-v will tell you.
2) Create an overall map projection in the map file, near the top:
PROJECTION
 "proj=latlong"
END
3) Create a utm projection for the UTM layer:
LAYER
  PROJECTION
    "proj=utm"
    "ellps=GRS80"
    "zone=19"
    "north"
    "no_defs"
  END
4) The other layers need no PROJECTION, will default to latlong
5) shpinfo.pl -file="your_utm_shapefile" will report the EXTENT in
meters of the UTM layer. I started with a map file just to get the UTM
shapes alone to display.
6) Caveates:  Maine and Mass are in UTM zone 19. Virginia is in zone 18:
see:
http://www.colorado.edu/geography/gcraft/notes/coordsys/gif/utmzones.gif
My UTM data was NAD83 not NAD27.  Not sure how much difference this
makes.

HTH
Eric Bridger