[Mapserver-users] Using MapServer as a general graphing engine

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Mon Jul 28 16:19:59 EDT 2003

> Actually, instead of a full integration with GDChart as suggested in my
> come from an URL, and this URL could contain [field] replacements,
> similar to what we can do with query template URLs already.

This looks to be desirable from a broader perspective, that's for sure.

Just in case I wasn't clear (I was mixing up terms a fair bit earlier) -
I'm thinking of a single map that contains a chart.  The chart is the map
and the data being charted would be considered map data.

Now, how you would browse such a map/chart opens up some interesting ideas
too, especially if you add in the context of grabbing external images as
symbols.  Much like we do with MIN/MAXSCALE layer settings, you could have
"scale" options that show more detail as you zoom into a part of the chart.
Hmmm...interesting stuff.  Thanks for the comments.