[Mapserver-users] MS 3.7 and RH 8 woes

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Wed Mar 5 08:47:40 EST 2003

Sorry for the newbie questions:  I should have kept up with the
technology myself instead of letting a graduating grad student get ahead
of me!

I've got the nightly build from Sunday evening compiled, sans errors,
and installed per Steve Woodbridge's Wiki entry.  That part seemed to go
great.  Excellent step-by-step directions, no problems.  I took no
shortcuts there to get anyting going.

However, perl mapscript is DOA. I'd tried a CVS load that didn't even
come close to allowing me to compile perl-mapsecript, thus the nightly
download, which at least allowed compilation.  So that's working.

Now, however, when I attempt to run a perl script that calls
perl-mapscript, I get the following:
------------------
[root at vne-dhcp-047 mesonet]# ./makeshapefile.pl
Name "mapscript::MS_SHAPEFILE_POLYGON" used only once: possible typo at
./makeshapefile.pl line 22.
Name "mapscript::MS_SHAPE_LINE" used only once: possible typo at
./makeshapefile.pl line 175.
Can't locate object method "new" via package "shapefileObj" (perhaps you
forgot to load "shapefileObj"?) at ./makeshapefile.pl line 22.
[root at vne-dhcp-047 mesonet]#
------------------

makeshapefile.pl worked on 3.6.3 on a RH7.3 install with perl v5.8.0.
I've gotten XBase and DBD loaded, and mapscript installed in the
appropriate place.

If it helps, here's the output of mapserv -v:

[root at vne-dhcp-047 mesonet]# /var/www/cgi-bin/mapserv -v
MapServer version 3.7 (development) OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
OUTPUT=PDF OUTPUT=SWF SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=TTF SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=GD2_RGB INPUT=OGR
INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE
[root at vne-dhcp-047 mesonet]#

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173