[Mapserver-users] python mapscript shapefile bug

Jeff Austin jaustin at arb.ca.gov
Fri Mar 7 18:22:23 EST 2003

I'm using the Python module for MapServer 3.6.4 to write a cgi script,
and I'm running into a puzzling bug.  My map includes several
shapefiles.  When the map is zoomed out so that all the shapes lie
completely within the map extent, everything works fine.  But whenever I
zoom in, so that a shape lies wholly or partly outside the map extent,
the script crashes (browser screen comes up blank).  The Apache error
log contains the following error message:

[Fri Mar  7 13:26:08 2003] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not
exist: /var/www/html/phpconfig.php
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/www/html/webmap_cgi/maptest4.py", line 313, in ?
    image = map_obj.draw()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/mapscript/MapScript.py", line
1468, in draw
    def draw(*args): return apply(MapScriptc.mapObj_draw,args)
RuntimeError: msSearchDiskTree(): Unable to access file.

Exception exceptions.RuntimeError: 'msSearchDiskTree(): Unable to access
file. \n' in <bound method mapObj.__del__ of <C mapObj instance at
_b01e1808_p_mapObj>> ignored

I found several references to this problem in the mailing list, but no
solution was posted.  Is there a solution for this?  Any advice would be
most appreciated.
--Jeff Austin