[Mapserver-users] python mapscript shapefile bug

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Mon Mar 10 13:12:02 EST 2003

On Friday, March 7, 2003, at 04:22  PM, Jeff Austin wrote:

> I'm using the Python module for MapServer 3.6.4 to write a cgi script,
> and I'm running into a puzzling bug.  My map includes several
> shapefiles.  When the map is zoomed out so that all the shapes lie
> completely within the map extent, everything works fine.  But whenever
> zoom in, so that a shape lies wholly or partly outside the map extent,
> the script crashes (browser screen comes up blank).  The Apache error
> log contains the following error message:
>
> [Fri Mar  7 13:26:08 2003] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not
> exist: /var/www/html/phpconfig.php
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/var/www/html/webmap_cgi/maptest4.py", line 313, in ?
>     image = map_obj.draw()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/mapscript/MapScript.py", line
> 1468, in draw
>     def draw(*args): return apply(MapScriptc.mapObj_draw,args)
> RuntimeError: msSearchDiskTree(): Unable to access file.
>
> Exception exceptions.RuntimeError: 'msSearchDiskTree(): Unable to
> access
> file. \n' in <bound method mapObj.__del__ of <C mapObj instance at
> _b01e1808_p_mapObj>> ignored
>
> I found several references to this problem in the mailing list, but no
> solution was posted.  Is there a solution for this?  Any advice would
> be
> most appreciated.
> --Jeff Austin

Jeff,

I experienced this same issue with 3.6.  The mapserver code is
generating a
non-fatal warning that the Python mapscript is interpreting as a
RuntimeError
exception.  FWIW, this issue seems to be moot in the development code
(3.7).
I'm not familiar enough with the code in maptree.c and mapshape.c to
understand
how this issue was resolved.

Have you tried creating shapetree indices for your shapefiles?

cheers,
Sean

--
Sean Gillies