[Mapserver-users] Developing - Flash MX on Windows - against Linux environment

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Mar 14 10:28:40 EST 2003

Mark Rodrigo wrote:

> I am about to commit to a dual boot system here on my laptop, and get Linux
> Redhat 8.x, Apache, PHP and hopefully a compiled Mapserver 3.7 going on that
> OS. I would like to develop the front-end in Flash MX, but was curious how
> developers were handling a similar situation for code testing? i.e. What's
> the easiest way to hit on Mapserver etc. running on a Linux Server from a
> Windows OS (Flash MX) for testing?

You could possibly do all your development on Windows, with your
MapServer app running under Apache on Windows.  Then at the end of the
development porting to Linux shouldn't be a big deal at all.  At this
point you use a second computer for your final tests.

Another option could be to use VMWare (http://www.vmware.com/) ... I use
it on my laptop to run WinXP (host OS) and Linux (guest OS) and that
works great!

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca