[Mapserver-users] Re: perl / mapscript

pkishor_98 pkishor at geoanalytics.com
Sun Mar 16 23:18:26 EST 2003

--- In mapserver-users at yahoogroups.com, "Paul Dymecki"
<millardymecki at s...> wrote:
> Well actually i may be makeing this more complicated then it needs. I've
> built a phpmapscript application containing vegetaion
zones(polygons) around
> the country.  There is a larger perl application(not under my care) that
> will pass me a lat/lon.

this larger perl app... is this a mapserver app? if yes, then it is
running on unix, because perl/mapscript is possible only on unix
(afaik). If not, then how do you query it? Is it a pure perl app
accessing a database? In which case you could simply access the
database directly from PHP.

See, the problem is not that you can run perl/mapscript and
php/mapscript simultaneously. The problem is whether you can run them
in the same script. On the server, the script has to be interpreted by
either the PHP interpreter, or by the Perl interpreter... can't do
both. One or the other. What you can do is have the Perl script
construct a PHP script that you then run from the web. In which case
you would build a script with the lat/lon values filled in. But, yes,
this could be complicated.

Care to give more details?