[Mapserver-users] Ermapper ECW files on Linux ?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 18 09:17:54 EST 2003

Vincent Schut wrote:
> Bo,
>
> According to the GDAL pages, the GDAL library is able to - with some
> limitations - read and write ECW files. See
> http://remotesensing.org/gdal/frmt_ecw.html for details. If you compiles
> mapserver with GDAL support, mapserver will be able to read all formats that
> GDAL can read.
> I don't know anything about ERMapper files, so if they don't fit within GDAL's
> limitations, I apologize.

Vincent,

The GDAL ECW support depends on the availability of the SDK from ERMapper.
So, as long as there is no SDK available on Linux, GDAL can't support ECW
on Linux.  My understanding from the folks at ERMapper is that they intend
to release an SDK for Linux but they aren't able to commit to a timeline.

Best regards,