[Mapserver-users] Rotating symbols

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Mon Mar 24 14:31:34 EST 2003

Thorsten,

  We had a similar requirement recently.  Unfortunately currently there is
no simple way to rotate symbols (that I know of).  It would require the
creation of a CLASSANGLEITEM keyword into the LAYER object (plus source code
changes to internal MapServer structures and function calls).

  The timeline of our particular project was too tight for a source code
enhancement of that magnitude, so we simply used eight classes in  a single
layer.  Each class represented a range of angles of 45 degrees (e.g., N, NE,
E, SE, etc) and the expression in the class filtered the record based on a
heading attribute:

 CLASS
   EXPRESSION ([HEADING]<23 or [HEADING]>337)
   SYMBOL 'arrowup'
   SIZE 10
   COLOR 255 0 255
   OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
 END # CLASS

Obviously this method does not render the symbol with the exact direction,
but for our purposes it was close enough.

For the long term, we too would like to see symbol rotation from an
attribute implemented.

On a related note, we did add OUTLINECOLOR support for truetype symbols.  I
see that it is now checked into CVS and available via nightly builds.

Brent Fraser
GeoAnalytic Inc