[Mapserver-users] weather forecast map

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Mar 27 09:04:44 EST 2003

We're working on forecasts.  We may, or may not, use mapserver to
display forecast (model) products.  In fact, we may go to a text-based,
drop-box menu item for forecasts, initially.

The numerical output of model data, in lat/lon could of course be used
to place a feature on the map.  For hurricanes, this would be pretty
straightforward, save that, generally, the result is a zone of
probabilities.  I'm not sure how I'd represent this, as it's an arc
segment(s), with a vector from the storm's position at a given time.

Producing forecasted conditions as surface points isn't too hard,
either, but the polylines, contour polygons and symbols associated with
a forecast map would, again produce a lot of work and be problemmatic.
But, I don't think, impossible.

Gotta run now.

Thanks, gerry