[Mapserver-users] Determining Shapefile EXTENT

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Tue Oct 7 11:26:16 EDT 2003

Edward,
I would highly recommend the "ogr"  utility called "ogrinfo".   You can
read more about it here:
http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/opengis/

and see examples here:
http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/opengis/ogrhtml/ogr_utilities.html

You can basically run ogrinfo against a shapefile and get all the details
you want (and more).
It runs like:
>ogrinfo c:\path\to\folder\
which will give you a list of the "layers" in the folder.  This will
include all the shape files you have.
Then you can request info for a particular layer/shape file like this:
>ogrinfo c:\path\to\folder\  <layername>
i.e ogrinfo c:\tmp\shapefiles   cities

And you will get a listing of all the fields, their values and the
geometries for each shape.
Note, using  " | more "  or  "  | head " to the end of the command (if
available) will save you from viewing all the details which you may not
want :)
If you are interested in just getting extents, then I use "grep" (I can
provide pointers to that utility if needed) to only give me the extent
information.
> ogrinfo c:\tmp\shapefiles   cities | grep Extent

If you need more info, let us know.  OGR and it's mother project GDAL are
an integral part of a robust Mapserver installation and used by many on
this list.

Tyler