[Mapserver-users] Re: Perl Mapscript Setup errors : tricky windows problem

Puneet Kishor pkishor at geoanalytics.com
Tue Oct 28 17:35:55 EST 2003

As I said, afaik, no one has thus far compiled Perl/Mapscript on
Windows. The issue lies with Swig (I daresay I would like to see
Perl/Mapscript work on Windows. I spend a fair amount of time on
Windows, and would be nice to use some of my time there to work on
Mapserver).

> As far as the Cygwin setup :
> I have installed Cygwin but cannot get any of the executables
> compiled under
> cygwin to work with my Perl scripts.  I think it is the
> compile parameters
> set in the Makefile that are the problem.
> I believe there is a set of parameters that will compile
> executables for DOS
> or i586 or the like but I do not know at this time.

Cygwin is a viable alternative... Essentially you complile Mapserver
with Perl/Mapscript under cygwin, and everything runs happily...
Including PostGIS, if you are so inclined. Instructions are up and about
(see the wiki and other usual locations).