[Mapserver-users] Projection conversion

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Oct 31 11:50:32 EST 2003

nicolas.fortin at ec.gc.ca wrote:
> Now I wonder if anybody here already try Mapserver 4.0 with Oracle
> Spatial ...
>
> Each time I ask a question...no answer.  I search the archives and each
> time someone ask a specific question about Oracle (other than compiling
> for older version) ... no answer.

Nicolas,

I presume that you get no answer because no-one has a MapServer available
for distribution that includes Oracle support.  It is not practical to
include this in the "stock" builds since it wouldn't work for anyone with
oracle installed (and the appropriate shared libraries in their path).

I would add that there aren't that many people using Oracle Spatial,
and apparently those who do aren't too chatty.  I have it installed, but
I haven't used it with the built-in Oracle Spatial support in MapServer
myself.

> The projection is not my only concern, I have problems with other
> features (supported?) of mapserver not directly answered in the
> doc/archives.
>
> One of our Oracle table is BATHYMETRY with 113 000 000 rows. ( TYPE POINT )
>
> 1) I want mapserver to FILTER the data depending on the zoom level or
> the bounding box. How can I do this with mapserver ?  Do I have to make
> multiple layers with different FILTER ? I don't want this to be
> dynamically done cause my ultimate goal is WMS.

Generally yes, you should create seperate tables with bathymetry data
for different resolutions.  Or perhaps add a column indicating the
level at which each point should appear.

> 2) I want my bathymetry point to be of different color depending on Z
> value (number(23,10)). I can do this with CLASSITEM and EXPRESSION in
> CLASS but mapserver doesn't seem to understand my regex... It works fine
> with my SHORELINE.DXFELEVATION fields (number(10)) but not with
> BATHYMETRY. Why??

I have no idea.

> 3) How can I make LINE wider or POINT bigger ?  I tried using SIZE
> without success.

I believe you need to apply a symbol.  Last I knew that was the only
way to make "fat" lines or points.

Good luck,